Name/surname: Eugenia Gkaliagkousi, Birthdate: 1971, e-mail: email@example.com
– Associate Professor of Internal Medicine, 3rd Department of Internal Medicine, Papageorgiou Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
– Head of the European Society of Hypertension (ESH) Excellence Center (Hypertension Division of the Third Department of Internal Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Papageorgiou General Hospital, Thessaloniki), with leading clinical and research activities
– Treasurer of the Administrative Board of the Hellenic Society of Hypertension
Doctor of Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (1996).
Internal Medicine, 2nd Propedeutic Department of Internal Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (2002).
– PhD in Clinical Pharmacology, Medical School King’s College, University of London (passed with honors)
– PhD Thesis title: The role of Nitric oxide in vascular and platelet function in essential hypertension
3-year course at the Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Guys’ and St’ Thomas Hospitals, Medical School of King’s College, University of London. Post-doctoral research in the same Department for a 3-month period.
1. Lead researcher in Hypertension unit- ESH Excellence Center of the 3rd Department of Internal Medicine, AUTH. Co-ordination and supervision of all clinical and research activities, in particular: supervision of 2 postdoctoral research projects and 5 PhD theses; member of the 3-Consulting Committee in 5 PhD theses, and member of the Exam Committee in 3 PhDs. Supervision of 1 Master thesis and member of the Consulting Committee in 2.
2. Responsible for the training of physicians in primary and secondary hypertension in the context of the activities of the Hypertension Excellence Center, and as part of post-graduate courses organized by the Hellenic Society of Hypertension.
3. Primary investigator in: Comparative study of eplerenone-based treatment strategy versus irbesartan based blood pressure lowering in obese hypertensive patients (HEBRO Study).
4. Co-investigator in Study of the European Society of Hypertension on Blood Pressure Control in ESH Excellence Centres.
5. Scientific leader of the project “Evaluation of novel markers of endothelial dysfunction and thrombotic microenvironment in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: association with markers of subclinical inflammation and cardiovascular damage (MIS 5047870), co-financed by Greece and the European Union (European Social Fund- ESF) through the Operational Programme “Human Resources Development, Education and Lifelong Learning 2014-2020”
(Total fund: 50,000 Euros).
6. Leader of the research team of Papageorgiou Hospital for the PVClinical project (PVClinical: Active Pharmacovigilance in Clinical Enviroments). Finding organization: Operational Program Competitiveness, Entrepreneurship and Innovation, under the call “RESEARCH-CREATE-INNOVATE” (project code T1EDK-0789, total budget 917,200.00).
– Investigation of pathophysiological mechanisms of hypertension and hypertension-mediated organ damage (HMOD). Novel research interests focus on the role of innate immunity in the pathogenesis of hypertension.
– Clinical implications of hypertension in patients with cardiovascular diseases, including diabetes mellitus and coronary artery disease, as well as high risk patients with autoimmune diseases including rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, systemic vasculitis and psoriasis
– Application of novel biomarkers for the assessment of subclinical HMOD, platelet activation and endothelial damage in hypertension
– Non-invasive study of hypertension-induced micro- and macrovascular alterations
Published research work:
– Scientific publications: 91 international; 1st author in 37, senior author in 7; total Impact Factor (IF): 447.89
– Citations: 865 (Scopus) / 1241 (Google Scholar)/ – Hirsch index (H-index): 19 in google scholar / 17 in scopus
Research techniques/methodology tools:
– Study of the microcirculation: Laser Speekle Contrast Analysis (LASCA), fundoscopy, capillaroscopy
– Study of the macrovasculature and endothelial function: Assessment of arterial stiffness with applanation tonometry (carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity, central augmentation index, central blood pressure), carotid imaging with ultrasound for the evaluation of carotid intimamedia thickness and carotid stiffness, flow-mediated dilatation, impedance cardiography for the non-invasive assessment of hemodynamic parameters, measurement of the ankle-brachial index
– Biomarkers: Evaluation of biomarkers of endothelial dysfunction, vascular stiffness thrombotic tendency with flow cytometry (endothelial microvesicles, EMVs, platelet microvesicles, PMVs, and erythrocyte microvesicles, EMVs) and ELISA (ADΜA, galectin-3, High Mobility Group Box 1, C5b-9 Complement activation). TLRs expression on platelet surface, neutrophil netosis mediated by angiotensin II in primary and secondary hypertension.
Personal distinctions/ scholarships:
1. Scholarship by the Greek State Scholarships Foundation, to conduct a doctoral thesis research abroad (2003).
2. Post-doctoral research scholarship awarded by Guy’s and St Thomas’ Charity (2008).
3. Funding by the Hellenic Society of Hypertension for post-doctoral research (2017, 2019,2020,2021).
4. Post-doctoral research scholarship awarded by the Greek State Scholarships Foundation (2008).
5. Supervisor in a postdoctoral research project awarded by the Greek Foundation for State Scholarships (2019)
6. Scientific Primary Supervisor in postdoc with title: “Novel markers for the assessment of endothelial dysfunction and thrombotic microenvironment in rheumatoid arthritis” funded by European Regional Development Fund (2014–2020) (Total fund:50000 Euros)
– Scholarship from the Greek Foundation for State Scholarships for a PhD degree in Clinical Pharmacology, King’s College, Guys and St Thomas’s Hospitals, Medical School, University of London
– Postdoctoral fellowship from the Greek Foundation for State Scholarships
– Postdoctoral fellowship for 3 years from the Guys and St Thomas Charity, Medical School, University of London
– 14 awards from national and international societies for research works: European Society of Hypertension (3), Hellenic Society of Hypertension (3), Hellenic Society of Diabetes Mellitus (2), Hellenic Society of Cytometry (1), Hellenic Society of Biochemistry and Exercise Physiology (3), International Medical Olympiad (2), ARTERY society (1)
– 5 awards of Excellence (among them 1 for high Impact Factor of published papers and the rest for original research published works) from the School of Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, for the academic year 2017-2018
– 3 awards of Excellence (among them 1 for Research activity award and 1 for high Impact Factor of published papers), from the School of Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, for the academic year 2018-2019
1. Recent publications (2020-2021)
1. Opportunistic screening for hypertension: what does it say about the true epidemiology? Menti A, Kalpourtzi N, Gavana M, Vantarakis A, Voulgari PV, Hadjichristodoulou C, Gkaliagkousi E, Doumas M, Kalaitzidis RG, Kallistratos MS, Karakosta A, Katsi V, KrokidisX, Manios E, Marketou M, Ntineri A, Papadakis JA, Papadopoulos D, Sarafidis P, Trypsianis G, Chatzopoulos M, Chlouverakis G, Alamanos Y, Zebekakis P, Touloumi G, Stergiou GS. J Hum Hypertens. 2021. doi: 10.1038/s41371-021-00532-5
2. A study of endothelial and platelet microvesicles across different hypertension phenotypes. Lazaridis A, Gavriilaki E, Nikolaidou B, Yiannaki E, Dolgyras P, Anyfanti P, Triantafyllou A, Koletsos N, Tzimos C, Markala D, Douma S, Gkaliagkousi E. J Hum Hypertens. 2021. doi: 10.1038/s41371-021-00531-6
3. Toll-Like Receptors in the Pathogenesis of Essential Hypertension. A Forthcoming Immune-Driven Theory in Full Effect. Lazaridis A, Gavriilaki E, Douma S, Gkaliagkousi E. Int J Mol Sci. 2021;22(7):3451. doi: 10.3390/ijms22073451
4. Skin microvascular dysfunction in systemic lupus erythematosus patients with and without cardiovascular risk factors. Koletsos N, Gkaliagkousi E, Lazaridis A, Triantafyllou A, Anyfanti P, Dolgyras P, Dipla K, Galanopoulou V, Aslanidis S, Douma S. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2020 Dec 31:keaa722. doi: 10.1093
5. Assessment of Endothelial Injury and Pro-Coagulant Activity Using Circulating Microvesicles in Survivors of Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation. Gavriilaki E, Sakellari I, Anyfanti P, Batsis I, Vardi A, Bousiou Z, Lazaridis A, Nikolaidou B, Zarifis I, Masmanidou M, Yiannaki E, Markala D, Anagnostopoulos A, Douma S, Gkaliagkousi E. Int J Mol Sci. 2020;21(24):9768. doi: 10.3390/ijms21249768
6. A comparative study of ambulatory central hemodynamics and arterial stiffness parameters in peritoneal dialysis and hemodialysis patients. Alexandrou ME, Loutradis C, Balafa O, Theodorakopoulou M, Tzanis G, Bakaloudi D, Dimitriadis C, Pateinakis P, Gkaliagkousi E, Papagianni A, Sarafidis P. J Hypertens. 2020;38(12):2393-2403. doi: 10.1097
7. Nighttime dipping status and risk of cardiovascular events in patients with untreated hypertension: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Gavriilaki M, Anyfanti P, Nikolaidou B, Lazaridis A, Gavriilaki E, Douma S, Gkaliagkousi E. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2020;22(11):1951-1959. doi: 10.1111/jch.14039
8. Urine metabolomic phenotyping for detection of adrenocortical carcinoma: still a long way to go. Anyfanti P, Nikolaidou B, Gkaliagkousi E. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2020;8(11):876-877. doi: 10.1016/S2213-8587(20)30341-7
9. Platelet microvesicles are associated with the severity of coronary artery disease: comparison between peripheral and coronary circulation. Gkaliagkousi E, Gavriilaki E, Yiannaki E, Vasileiadis I, Nikolaidou B, Lazaridis A, Dolgyras P, Grigoriadis S, Triantafyllou A, Anyfanti P, Markala D, Zarifis I, Douma S. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2020. doi: 10.1007/s11239-020-02302-5
10. Contribution of single office aortic systolic blood pressure measurements to the detection of masked hypertension: data from two separate cohorts. Gkaliagkousi E, Protogerou AD, Argyris AA, Koletsos N, Triantafyllou A, Anyfanti P, Lazaridis A, Dipla K, Sfikakis PP, Douma S. Hypertens Res. 2021;44(2):215-224. doi: 10.1038/s41440-020-00550-9
2. Recent invited presentations to international conferences and/or advanced schools
1. International Conferences:
– XXVIII European Federation Congress of the International College of surgeons, 2014
Medical vs Surgical treatment for adrenal tumors with subclinical hormonal activity
– European Society of Hypertension (ESH) Working group on obesity, Diabetes and high-risk patients, Satellite Symposium of the 2016 European Society Hypertension Meeting, 2016
Round table: How to treat? 65-year-old patient with hypertension and increased arterial stiffness
– European Society of Hypertension (ESH) Working group on obesity, Diabetes and high-risk patients 2018
Lecture: Secondary hypertension
– 2nd Pre-Congress Seminar of European Geriatric Medicine Society (EuGMS), 2019
Round table: Geriatric patients in need for chronic care: From Community to Institution and back: Management of chronic conditions in the community dwelling older patient
BP: Is lower better in Arterial Hypertension?
– European Society of Hypertension, 2019 Meeting of the Working Group on Obesity, Diabetes and the High Risk Patient, 2019
Round table: How to treat” A patient with secondary hypertension.
– Difficult to control hypertension and related comorbidities, 6th official pre-ESH Congress Satellite Symposium, 2019
Round table: A 42-year old hypertensive female is prepared for in vitro fertilization.
2. Advanced national schools
– Postgraduate Seminars of Hypertension, 2020
Arterial hypertension diagnosis and cardiovascular risk assessments: Markers of subclinical target organ damage
– School of Hypertension, 2020
Subclinical target organ damage: Endothelial dysfunction and micro- or macro-vascular dysfunction
– School of Hypertension, 2019
Secondary hypertension: Pheochromocytoma, other causes, incindetaloma
– Postgraduate Seminars of Hypertension, 2019
Novel cardiovascular risk factors: Hypertension in patients with rheumatic diseases
– Hypertension days, Seminars of Hypertension, 2019
Pathophysiology of hypertension: endothelium and microcirculation 2018 ESH Guidelines: Non-pharmacologic management
– Postgraduate Seminars of Hypertension, 2018
Novel targets in specific patient groups-2018 ESH Guidelines: Targets in diabetes mellitus
– School of Hypertension, 2018
Secondary hypertension: Renovascular hypertension
– Hypertension days, Seminars of Hypertension, 2018
Secondary hypertension: Pheochromocytoma
– Postgraduate Seminars of Hypertension, 2017
Expert discussion: Testing for secondary hypertension
– Postgraduate Seminars of Rheumatology, 2017
Diagnosis and management of hypertension: what should a rheumatologist know?
3. Major contributions to the early careers of excellent researchers:
– Continued collaboration and mentorship with multiple research/review manuscripts, honorary awards,scholarships, Master of Sciences, and PhDs completion (Excellent with distinction) of Eleni Gavriilaki (recently postdoc awarded by the Greek Foundation for State Scholarships – 2019) and Panagiota Anyfanti (recently postdoc awarded with title: “Novel markers for the assessment of endothelial dysfunction and thrombotic microenvironment in rheumatoid arthritis”, funded by the European Regional Development Fund [2014–2020] – total fund: 50.000 Euros). In both scholarships Dr Gkaliagkousi is Primary Academic Supervisor.
– Mentorship in PhD works of excellent physician-scientists: Antonios Lazaridis, Barbara Nikolaidou, Anastasia Margouta, Anastasios Vamvakis, Nikolaos Koletsos, Panagiotis Dolgyras, Georgios Triantafyllou (Primary Supervisor in 5).
All PhDs and postdoctoral research projects are focused on current issues related to hypertension